As we walked along the beach at low tide at the Siletz Bay, we saw something that we just couldn’t quite place. What seemed like a wave, zipping along the edge of the shore from the sea into the bay. I hadn’t seen anything like it before. Searching online and asking around, I believe it is a tidal bore. It only occurs in certain locations and even then it only happens at low tides, just as the tide is beginning to turn. Tidal bores are an interesting phenomenon. The conditions have to be just right for the bore to be triggered. One of the most dramatic occurs at the Quiantang River in China. A festival is held in the fall as people stand on the banks watching a huge wave roll over the current coming in the opposite direction. 1 Keely Lockhart. “Spectacular tidal bore surges up China river.” The Telegraph. Published September 8, 2014. Accessed July 27, 2016. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/11083187/Spectacular-tidal-bore-surges-up-China-river.html Video of tidal bore on the Quiantang River in China. Tidal bores occur in relatively few locations worldwide. In fact, for bores to occur, there are a few conditions that has to be met: the river must be shallow, must have a narrow outlet to the sea and a broad funnel-shaped bay. The bay must also have large tidal range – typically more than 6 meters between high and...Read More
Subscribe to Podcast
- The Synchronicity of God
- Hearing God's Voice : Thoughts & A Review of Discerning the Voice of God
- Developing the Gift of Discerning of Spirits
- Discerning of Spirits Examples
- Renting Lacy Summary
- Jehovah Nissi - Our Daily Deliverer
- Discerning the Presence of the Holy Spirit
- Discerning of Spirits in the Bible
- What is the Origin of Easter?
- What Does the Bible Say About That: A Response to Jerry Falwell
- When Good Intentions Aren’t Enough
- On Hanukkah, Hypocrites and an Open Letter to Ted Cruz
- On Forgiveness, Justice and Matt Lauer
- What Does God Mean by That?
- 15 Bible Verses About Love
- What does God think of your house?